Friday, August 3, 2012

August Currently

I simply cannot believe it is August already.  Where does the summer go?  And next year our district is trying to have school start earlier.  EARLIER?!  You know what that means.  Short summer! Ack!  And lots of sweaty kiddos running around in the 100F+ temperatures.  Sounds lovely. Not so much.

I am linking up once more with Farley over at Oh Boy 4th Grade for this month's Currently. I am quickly becoming addicted to these.


Firstly, mockingbirds.  Is it just me, but every time I think "mockingbird" I really hear "mockingjay" in my head... Just sayin'.  How many days until the Blu Ray comes out?!

Secondly, (my students should take note of my awesome use of transition words!) I wish there was a laminating fairy that would come and cut out the 100 yards of laminating I have done this summer.

Thirdly, does your school take your keys for the summer?  Mine does. I am not sure if this is good or bad, lol.  Good in the aspect of it forces me to truly take a summer break (working at home creating centers counts as summer break, right?!).  Bad because there are so many tools and resources in my classroom (hello industrial paper cutter) that I don't have access to!  Frustrating!  But we will be able to get back in starting Monday (yay!).

Ah, non-dairy frozen yogurt.  I know. Say what?  See, little 'ol me is not lactose intolerant. I'm allergic to dairy.  Crazy.  Therefore, any frozen yogurt place that features a non-dairy flavor each week is a winner in my book!  Their flavor this week is strawberry. I may buy a pint. Or a gallon.

B2S Must Haves:
  • Seriously. There is something that makes me so inexplicably happy about seeing all those boxes of unused crayons, markers that all have matching lids, construction paper all neatly stacked in ascending color order, mostly empty bulletin boards just waiting to be filled, books neatly in the library, folders that are not all wrinkled, warped, torn, mended, torn again...  
  • How have I lived without a little laminator all my life?  This little baby has had a serious work out this summer.  But now I'm back to the cutting everything out...  Hmmm...
  • I always, always MUST have a new back-to-school outfit.  I think it's a tradition that stems from my childhood.  You know, when you save that new dress/skirt/shirt for the first day?!  I have a dress from Shabby Apple that I've been hoarding for about a month now.  I stare at it as I walk by the closet.  Dreaming of the first time I'll wear it (other than trying it on).  It makes me smile! Every time. 
Well, that's all from me today.  And kudos to you if you survived this long post.  Apparently I am in a chatty mood today.

Ugh, I just noticed a typo in my Currently, too.  If you didn't notice it, good! Don't go back and find it!  If you did notice it...  Well, ignore it. :)

Thanks for stopping by!


8 comments:

  1. I need to go back to school shopping too! Some things never change from childhood!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade
    Don’t forget to check out My Summer in Pictures Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school division is also starting early next year, but I am looking forward to getting out in May instead of June!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower!
    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I found you on the August Currently! I lot the personal laminator and I too can't wait to get in my classroom.... Aug 10th!
    I am your newest follower. Come and check out my Currently!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too cute :) I inserted Mocking Jay right away when I read that - can't wait to watch the DVD of the movie with my son. We both loved the movie!

    I say hold a "cut out 10 yards of laminated goodies for Kristina" party :) You can back some of your wonderful goodies as "bribery" - oops, I mean payment -- and be well on your way to being done ;)

    Allergic to dairy - oh my!! Buy the gallon!!!

    There were mutterings all year round school here a few years back but it never flew. Will be interesting to see if it gets revisited as we now have full day K after quite a few years of discussion.

    Enjoy your weekend and I'll eat some blueberries for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want my classroom keys too, so if you are crazy, then so am I!! lol. I love setting up for a new school year. I just found your blog & I'm your newest follower!! I also teach first grade so I am excited to follow along with your blog & share ideas. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Earlier?! Yuck-whatever happened to Sept being school? Don't know what they are thinking about going back during the hottest time of the year! Ugh!

    Love the back to school outfit must have! Some things never change :) Enjoy your final days of summer!
    -Christy & Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also your newest follower who found you over at the linky. Don't you just love the sweet sound of silence!?!?! Ahhhhh....

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete