Saturday, August 27, 2011

Deconstructed Sketch #16

Good afternoon! I'm attempting not to melt in my own house as the heat is absolutely ridiculous today. My poor little air conditioner is running it's heart out. We hit 100F before noon! Sheesh! Some friends are heading to Disneyland a little later today, but I graciously bowed out. Disneyland on the hottest day of the year? No thanks. I'll pass. That's the beauty of having an annual pass. I'll just wait until a cooler day. No guilt. :)

Photobucket

I have also officially survived the first two days of school. It's always a bit of a shock getting the brand new first graders and remembering that they really are kindergarten babies. Little guys. Young, scared, but ready to learn. It's such a journey to get them to the end of the year. My last memory is of my kids all reading confidently, writing, spelling correctly, etc. Fast forward to now, and we're starting all over, lol. Ah, but that journey is part of what makes teaching so much fun. :) But did I mention my feet are killing me?! Every year, the first week or two is really about retraining my feet to stand for hours on end. I never get to sit down with these little guys!

I decided to play around with this week's Deconstructed Sketch and some October Afternoon dp. A dear friend of mine has a birthday coming up and this will make a great card for her! The color scheme is a little brighter than my normal, but so much fun! Cheery, don't you think? I added some baker's twine under the sentiment, paper pieced the cupcake wrapper, and colored the frosting with my copics. I put a little glossy accents on top of the cherry for the finishing touch.

Well, it's back to hiding in the darkness and the air conditioning. I'm feeling a few more cards in my near future since it's too warm to do anything else. No cooking, no cleaning, no moving. The AC can barely keep up! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Supplies-
Stamps- MFT: It's a Cupcake Kind of Day, PTI: Mega Mixed Messages
Paper- Spring Moss, Tangerine Tango, Whisper White, October Afternoon Seaside dp
Ink- Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories-baker's twine, dimensionals, nestabilities, tea dye stains, copic markers, glossy accents

2 comments:

  1. Great use of the sketch and looky at you using those bright colours :) Your shiny cherry on top is perfect.

    We finally have some heat and we are all dying up here as it's the first real heat of the year!! 25C with humidex to 30C makes it close to 90 and that is HOT for us as most homes don't have AC. Many hit the malls just to cool off. We hit the beach yesterday and the cold ocean of the north Pacific was wonderfully refreshing LOL! As for the neighbour's pool, go for the dip and introduce yourself ;)

    Glad you have survived the first few days few school. Grade 1s are soooo small and so cute. Both my kids had the same Grade 1 teacher and I loved her to bits. Such an imnportant year for kids, good intro to a full day of school, reading, spelling, learning routines, organization. First few months is tough, but as you say, by the end of the year it is wonderful to see who mar they have come and to know you had a part in it :) Wishing you a fabulous year and hoping the poor feet are okay with all the standing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute with awesome color choices! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete